Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Odds and Ends; This and That

Baby D,


We are so prepared for your arrival. I laugh as I type this as the irony in that statement spills off the page.  Check out this picture of your parents at our last shower:
I want you to take a close look at our expressions.  We look excited, anxious, nervous, and utterly clueless.  I hope that doesn't scare you at all; I am sure by the time you read this, we will have everything sorted out. However, I thought you may get a kick out of seeing how young and unaware we both look weeks before your arrival.  

Here are a couple of us separately. Again, we look like we have no clue as to what is to come:
Mommy
Daddy




And, truly Dylan, it is okay to laugh.  I look exhausted and Dad looks like his normal, happy to be alive self.  I really hope you take after him on this one! 


To be completely honest, we have spent the past several weeks assembling your Pack-N-Play, organizing diapers, washing your clothes, among other odds and ends. It is so crazy all that it takes to welcome a miracle, and I must tell you that I have learned so much lately. Who would have ever guessed that the size of the diapers is indicated on the actual diaper?? Your Dad and I were using the "eyeball" method (totally his idea) for organizing your diapers. Don't tell, but it took us two hours to make the number on the diaper discovery. But, don't fear, we have totally got this under control! :)


Tell me your stance on sailboats.  This is the pattern that Dad and I picked out for your room. Your Meme and I spent hours on this project.  We had to find the anchors and paint them a matching navy, not to mention add little specks of green paint on the your letters to tie in all the contrasting colors.  Yes, you know by now that your Meme is a perfectionist, although she will tell you "nothing's perfect". Don't believe her.  She doesn't really feel that way.  

My favorite spot! 
Finally, today, I went to target to pick up the final items to complete our "this and that" list that I have added to graciously this week.  By now, you know I am a lister, but I can assure you, they do help.  Since your Meme and Pape helped us install our car seats this weekend, I just had to have the window shades to protect your precious eyes as we travel in the backseat of the Honda.  


As I was looking at those screens, a fleeting thought that apparently wasn't so fleeting crept into my mind.  What if I can't protect you in this life?  I have thought about it all night, which may be part of the reason I am up, writing.  I can promise you that I will do my best, although I know at times, it may not be enough.  The simple fact is that you can prepare and prepare, organizing, arranging, listing those odds and ends and this and thats, and life can still catch you off-guard.  


In the end, we have to keep on moving, loving, and healing.  


Love you, mean it,


Mommy



No comments:

Post a Comment