Friday, September 16, 2011

And Then, There Were Two

Dear D-Bo,

I am addressing this letter to you, but in truth, this letter is to your new cousin, Abby, who was born today.  In an effort to begin teaching you, at a very early age, the importance of sharing, I am asking you now to share this letter with her. I truly hope this is the first of many blessings that we get to share as a family. 

My dear, sweet, Abigail Elizabeth,

You are beautiful.  I want you to always remember that no matter what, to your mommy and daddy, you are the most beautiful girl in the world.  You have been blessed with a family whose love knows no bounds, and  we are so thankful that you have made a safe entrance into our worlds. 

I have known your mother for my entire life. She was my very first friend, and she always protected me--no matter what.  Today, your mother and I share the bond of motherhood, and I must be completely honest with you, we have never been this close. And that, my beautiful niece, is in part due to you! From the bottom of my heart, Abby, thank you!

You should know a few things about your family that will help you navigate the Berndt waters smoothly.  First, your mother is one of the bravest, smartest women I have ever known.  She is fearless and flawless, especially as a mother.  Also, your daddy loves his little angels more than most.  He has a quiet patience about him that allows him to connect to you and your brother very well. And then, there is your brother, Little Martini (he will probably cringe at this name by the time you read this letter).  Martini was the very first grandchild for your Meme and Pape, and he paved the road very well for all four of you! He is smart and sensitive, with an inquisitive nature and warm spirit.  Be sure to lean on him.  Like his mother, he will be your fearless protector.

We cannot forget Meme and Pape.  Meme will go to the ends of the earth for her family, and I am quite certain that you have seen how much energy she has from morning until night. She will be your best buddy, your palette partner, and your sensational storyteller, all in one weekend. As for Pape--his arms are the best for cuddling and giving great hugs.  His sense of humor and warm heart make him an awesome napping partner, although he may try to steal the covers! And, then  there is your Uncle David, whose loyalty to family and love for his sweet baby girl, Lainey, exceeds most men I have ever known. He tells the greatest jokes, understands the reality of life, and honors his committments, espeically to his family.  And then your cousins on our side, Lainey Ava and Dylan Ashley, whose stories continue to be written long after you read this letter. And, I have no doubt that you will have some stories to share about them as well. Lastly, you will come to know the loving arms of sweet Aunt Rocky, who your mother and I affectionately call Aunt Rach.  She sings the best lullabies, makes the best BLTS, and is always there for all of us in our time of need.  Just so you know, she and I drove to the hospital in the middle of the night, just to see your sweet face! It was worth every mile. 

Welcome to this world, Abigail Elizabeth Berndt! We are so glad to meet you and are honored to have been blessed with another little angel!

With love,
Aunt Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment