Sunday, September 11, 2011

We Shall Never Forget

Dylan,

On this day, ten years ago, the face of the world was changed forever.  You will read about this in your history classes and maybe even experience the power of remembrance each year as we honor the ones we lost. However, there are no words to capture the true essence of that day, September 11, 2001, and although I choose to remember, I never want to feel that way again. 

Today, as I held you in my arms, I looked down in your eyes and thought about how innocent the world is, especially through the eyes of a child.  I shutter to think of the day that I have to look into those eyes and explain the horrors of this world. As a new parent, it is my instinct to protect you, even when I know that one day you learn first hand that life is not always wonderful. It is unfair and harsh, and for some, just plain awful.  It would be foolish of me to think that I can shield you from the pain forever, but I must admit, I wish that I could. I think any parent would say the same. 

Over 48% of the heroes lost in the tragedy of 9-11 were parents.  And, as I think about the families left behind, my heart breaks over and over again.  As you grow up, you will come to understand that people eventually move on.  Our nation has healed, and we have grown stronger as the America that we knew we always could be.  Families moved on with their lives, schools went back into session, memorials were established, and overall, America began to rebuild, recreate, and renew. 

However, today, my sweet Dylan, the wound seemed to reopen again as each name was read; each name of a person whose life was taken and each name of service men and women whose life was given. Although I hope you never have to experience that kind of pain, sweet child, I hope that you, too, will never forget.  Never forget that as an American, people have given of themselves and their families to protect you and your freedom.  Honor them; cherish your life, and always be gracious. 

"I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free. And I won't forget the men who died and gave that right to me. And I proudly stand up, next to you and defend Her still today. Cause their ain't no doubt, I love this land.  God Bless the USA."

love you,

Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment