Tuesday, September 13, 2011

"Life's a Dance..."

Dylan Ashely Boyette,

I am sure that when you read this letter, the name John Michael Montgomery will mean nothing to you.  However, "back in the day," he was a young country music star with a chart-climing hit titled "Life's a Dance". To celebrate your two-week birthday, I wanted to introduce you to one of many great country music legends! That, and his song really rings true after loving you for exactly ten months and two weeks. 

The lyrics read "Life's a dance, you learn as you go/Sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow." This song has played in my head many late nights the past two weeks, as I walk you around the downstairs, switching you from my arms to my shoulder.  I would never admit this to anyone, but I have no clue what I am doing.  I think your dad is on to my secret, but he is so sleep deprived, as am I, that he would never say a word.  The truth is, Dylan, that the love that I have for you runs so deep that it confuses itself with inadequacy and anxiety, only to give way to overwhelming pride and utter joy! It is so hard to explain, this new parenting gig, and your dad and I are so aware of the immense responsibility and honor with which we have been blessed. 

From this, I really want you to learn a lesson, Dylan.  Although that lesson keeps changing, after exactly fourteen days, I think I can provide you a glimpse of the moral.  Many times in life, you will be faced with a challenge, sometimes of your own making, that shakes you to the core. Be it the start of new relationship or the decision that seems to be all-important, I can assure you that you will stand on the precipice wondering if you are doing the right thing or making the right choice.  From my brief tenure as your mom, I can tell you that John Michael Montgomery had it right. You may have no clue what you are doing or even where you are going. You may find yourself confused and scared; but always trust what you know to be true and learn as you go. 

Happy TWO-WEEK BIRTHDAY!
If I could wish one thing for you, my child, it would be this: please know that you are amazing. You are the most special person I have ever known, and no matter where you are in life, I am always proud of you.  You matter to us, and if ever you feel that you can't find your way, think of the words of this song: "Don't worry about what you don't know/life's a dance, you learn as you go."  
Keep on dancing, love,

Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment